There are five main areas of application of information technologies in freight distribution:
- Freight visibility. Ability to track the status and location of shipments.
- Asset management. Ability to manage transportation assets such as vehicles and containers.
- Efficiency. Ability to improve the quality of freight information being exchanged as well as the capability to remotely monitor transport conditions.
- Freight information exchange. Ability to provide easily accessible and real-time freight information systems allowing the provider and consumer of transport services to interact.
- Regulatory compliance. Ability to comply with regulations, such as customs requirements, in a more efficient and cost-effective manner.