Information cited from this web site should be referred to as either:
- Rodrigue, J-P (ed) (2020), The Geography of Transport Systems, Fifth Edition, New York: Routledge.
- Rodrigue, J-P et al. (2020) The Geography of Transport Systems, Hofstra University, Department of Global Studies & Geography, https://transportgeography.org.
The Geography of Transport Systems represents a project that has been ongoing for more than 20 years. It was initially funded by Industry Canada (1997-98) “NoteMakers: Development of World Wide Web-Based Post-Secondary Education Courses”, but rapidly expanded well beyond its initial scope, which was to provide basic multimedia information about transport geography. The site has become one of the most widely used transportation sources on the Internet, averaging about 240,000 unique visitors per month. It totals more than 1,230 independent web pages. It is continuously being updated as new material becomes available and web design technology evolves.
- 1997. Project inception funded by Industry Canada.
- 1998. “Transport Geography on the Web” online in French and English.
- 2000. Site ported to Hofstra University and renamed “The Geography of Transport Systems”.
- 2001. Substantial cosmetic changes and integration with Cascading Style Sheets.
- 2006. Routledge publishes the first edition of “The Geography of Transport Systems” as a textbook, which contains selected sections of the web site.
- 2009. Second edition published.
- 2010. Site upgraded with a revamped design, Dynamic Web Templates, and streamlined CSS.
- 2012. Site converted to the HTML5/CSS3 standard.
- 2013. Third edition published.
- 2017. Fourth edition published.
- 2018. Site migrated to WordPress Content Management System with a new domain name: transportgeography.org.
- 2020. Fifth edition published.
- Dr. Jean-Paul Rodrigue, Professor, Dept. of Global Studies & Geography, Hofstra University, New York, USA.
- Dr. Brian Slack, Professor Emeritus, Dept. of Geography, Concordia University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
- Dr. Claude Comtois, Professor, Dept. of Geography, Université de Montréal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
- Dr. William Anderson, Ontario Research Chair in Cross-Border Transportation Policy, Professor, University of Windsor, Windsor, Ontario, Canada.
- Dr. John Bowen, Professor, Department of Geography, Central Washington University, Ellensburg, Washington, USA.
- Dr. Laetitia Dablanc, Director of Research, Institut Francais des Sciences et Technologies, des Transports, de l’Aménagement et des Réseaux, SPLOTT Laboratory, Marne-la-Vallée, France.
- Dr. Cesar Ducruet, Research Director, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Paris, France.
- Dr. Theo Notteboom, Professor, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium.
- Dr. Shih-Lung Shaw, Professor, Dept. of Geography, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee, USA.